Iron Fitting

Should I Use Graphite Shafts for Hybrids and Steel Shafts for Irons?

Posted by on Sep 20, 2012 in Hybrid Fitting, Iron Fitting, Shaft Fitting | 14 comments

Tweet Absolutely, and it is done all the time by tons of golfers. Industry statistics say that over 90% of all hybrids are sold with a graphite shaft, while only 30% of all irons are sold with graphite shafts. These trends most definitely say graphite is by the shaft of choice in hybrids while steel is the material of choice for iron shafts. But is that right? Since few hybrids are even offered by companies with steel shafts, if they were, would that make hybrids a better match to a set of steel shaft irons and thus offer a golfer a higher level of shotmaking consistency from hybrid to...

Read More

Swingweight – The Ideal Swing Reference Point

Posted by on Jul 18, 2012 in Clubfitting, Driver Fitting, Hybrid Fitting, Iron Fitting | 55 comments

Tweet One of the very first “technical things” a golfer learns about his equipment is the letter + number designation which describes the SWINGWEIGHT of the clubs. C8, D1, D4 are examples of the letter/number designation which have been used to label the swingweight of golf clubs. Just what is swingweight? First of all, it really is not a weight or a measurement of a weight. It is not a parameter like “grams”, “ounces”, or “pounds.” It is an expression that attempts to describe the ratio of the amount of weight in the bottom 2/3’s to the weight in the upper 1/3 of a golf...

Read More

Golf Club Loft – Will The Real Loft Please Stand Up

Posted by on Jun 14, 2012 in Clubfitting, Driver Fitting, Hybrid Fitting, Iron Fitting | 17 comments

Tweet One of the very most important specifications on each of your golf clubs is the loft angle.  To skip the fancy definitions, the loft angle is how much the face of the clubhead on each of your golf clubs is tilted back.  Every clubhead in your bag has a specific loft angle on the face, even your putter. Quite simply, loft is about 85% of the reason you hit each golf club a different distance.  The length of each of your clubs comprises the other 15%.  How far YOU actually hit each club is mainly a product of the relationship of YOUR swing speed with the different loft on each...

Read More

Iron Fitting – Iron Out The Details

Posted by on Feb 27, 2012 in Clubfitting, Iron Fitting | 4 comments

Tweet Since all golfers’ full complement of “irons” should include a mix of hybrids and irons, here are a number of other important elements of iron set fitting that can help ensure golfers are custom fit for the best overall iron set. Iron Lengths and Length Increments The starting length of the combined hybrid/iron set starts with a measurement of the golfer’s wrist to floor dimension.  Final length is then a process of swing evaluation to determine the maximum length each golfer can control while still being able to address and swing at the ball with complete comfort. Once the...

Read More