What is the softest feeling Wishon forged irons?

This forum is where you can ask questions about any aspect related to clubhead design, clubhead materials and clubhead performance characteristics. Happy posting! :)

What is the softest feeling Wishon forged irons?

Postby cntcasey » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:54 pm

For those who have played all the forged Wishon iron offerings which model has the softest feel? Thanks!
cntcasey

Re: What is the softest feeling Wishon forged irons?

Postby Richie3Jack » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 am

All of them have the same feel. So it really depends on the MOI, shaft and grip. I've found that the Stepless steel shafts, in particular with the Iomic grips and at my fitted MOI are very soft. Same with the KBS C-Taper shafts.

3JACK
Richie3Jack

Postby type61 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:17 pm

In my opinion, hit in the sweet spot they are all the same. I would give an edge to the 560s for feel on off center hits. Perhaps this would be called softer but defiantly a more solid feed. As pointed out in the other post the shaft will be a factor in the feel of the club as well and I also use the Wishon stepless shafts. And as long as I’m tossing out opinions, the 560s with the stepless shaft is one of those optimal situations where the whole is greater than sum of the parts.
Mike
HI-TEE Custom Clubs
TWGT Gold 2005-2014
type61

Postby jvincent » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 pm

I have played the 550M, 555C, 560MC, and am currently playing the 575MMC.

As far as "soft" feeling, that is probably as much a factor of shaft as anything else. All of the above are fabulous when hit on or near the center.

If you hit the more bladey clubs low and towards the toe you will feel it more than on the 560MC.

Having said all of that, just go for a set of 575MMC with the stepless steel. I'm playing these right now and they feel and perform great. The second I hit the ball I know exactly how well (or poorly) I've hit it.
jvincent

Postby golfclubbldr » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:23 pm

I haven't fitted with the stepless steel, but I can tell you that the KBS Tour or Ctaper shafts make all the Wishon forgings feel better. My better players love the 550M and 550C and I have a 7 hdcp golfer drooling over the 555M with a KBS Tour R shaft. I will definitely try the Wishon stepless steel. If you want to see the difference in feel have them hit a DG or PX shaft before you hand them the KBS.

BTW, does anyone know who does the manufacturing for the Wishon steel shafts. I know some of the wedge shafts have Apollo stickers on them and my customers just love the Knockdown and High flight wedge shafts.

John
Dead Solid Perfect Golf Clubs
Sunbury, OH
golfclubbldr

Postby fhann » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:27 pm

The step patterns for the current model year of Wishon shafts match the Apollo Spectre Lite pattern identically.
Frank Hann
TWGT Gold Member
AGCP & ICG member
fitter/builder/repair person - Hdcp Index 3.2 North Bay G&CC
fhann

Postby cntcasey » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:24 pm

So if the Apollo Spectre is an identical match for the wishon steel shafts. Does that mean that Apollo makes Wishon graphite shafts as well?
cntcasey

Postby fhann » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:40 am

The Wishon stepped shaft matches the Apollo Spectre Lite step pattern. I do not know about exact matches, hence possible manufacturer(s) for the Wishon Stepless Steel model nor any of the Wishon graphite shafts.
Frank Hann
TWGT Gold Member
AGCP & ICG member
fitter/builder/repair person - Hdcp Index 3.2 North Bay G&CC
fhann

Postby TWW » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:58 pm

fhann wrote:The Wishon stepped shaft matches the Apollo Spectre Lite step pattern. I do not know about exact matches, hence possible manufacturer(s) for the Wishon Stepless Steel model nor any of the Wishon graphite shafts.

FST has made our proprietary steel shaft designs for us. And there are quite a lot of steel stepped shafts that have the same step pattern. that is often done because it is easier to make the tooling dies to get more use out of the same dies.

TOM
TWW
Site Admin

Postby cntcasey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Mr. Wishon
If FST makes your steel shafts, who makes your graphite shafts?
cntcasey

Postby TWW » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 am

cntcasey wrote:Mr. Wishon
If FST makes your steel shafts, who makes your graphite shafts?

Our graphite shafts are all made by the U-Known/Yarnway Composite company. Most people are not aware that there are MANY graphite shaft making companies that do not choose to make and market shafts under their own brand name. Most people are only aware of the Aldilas, USTs, Fujikuras and so on - the companies that are heavily involved in marketing their own brand name shafts.

There always have been a large number of graphite shaft makers who choose to simply manufacture shafts for golf companies and not to make and market shafts under their own brand name. The reason is because for one, none of these brand shaft companies ever see more than 15% of their total sales come from their own branded shafts. Yet to make that 15% requires a LOT of expense for marketing and promotion. That's money that the other shaft makers choose to put into their R&D, into their QC and other areas to try to improve their companies, or even to allow them to offer a little more competitive price to their golf company customers.

U-Known/Yarnway is also major shaft maker for Taylor Made and for Callaway. I chose them to make our graphite shafts because of two main reasons; 1) former Grafalloy VP of R&D Robin Arthur designed U-Known/Yarnway's production operation and spent a long time heading up the factory training programs to ensure that they know what they are doing; 2) When he designed their production operation, he set them up with two separate production divisions. One to make high volume lower priced shafts with what is considered normal tolerance quality for such lower priced shafts; the other production division to make shafts to tighter tolerance levels. So in other words, unlike with so many other shaft makers, at U-Known/Yanrway they do not mix low end and high end shaft projects together - they keep them separate.

Hope this helps,
TOM
TWW
Site Admin

Postby nhs99v » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:11 am

I've actually met Robin Arthur - he was a guest speaker at the training school I did with Maltby. Fascinating guy to talk and listen to and obviously , what he doesn't know about graphite shafts could be written on the back of a postage stamp. He also gave us a free Excalibur shaft of our choice! I chose one that came from the high end production line!
Nicky

http://www.mygolf.me
TWGT Gold
GCA Europe
Maltby Academy
International Clubmakers Guild
nhs99v

Return to Clubhead Design