Bending Irons and Offset

This forum is where you can ask questions, share tips, techniques all about the workbench skills and tools for assembly and repair of golf clubs. Happy posting!! :)

Bending Irons and Offset

Postby hackzaw » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:58 am

I'm pretty new at bending irons as I build clubs almost strictly as a hobby for myself. I bought an old iron bending machine (not sure the brand), second hand from another club building friend.

My question is the following. When tweaking the loft of an iron (in my case, most recently, some 555C and 555M's) is it normal that if I were to bend the irons a tad stronger loft (i.e. bend hosel backwards), that I introduce some offset that previously wasn't there?

I say this because this is what I think I've done. Prior to bending, there appeared to be minimal offset. After bending.... some offset.

When I clamped my bending bar onto the hosel, I did so at the very top of the hosel (close to the ferrule). This seemed like the most logical place to clamp to bend. Should I have clamped as low as possible, and bend more where the hosel enters the heel area of the club (if possible??)?
hackzaw

Postby TWW » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:37 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hackzaw</i>

My question is the following. When tweaking the loft of an iron (in my case, most recently, some 555C and 555M's) is it normal that if I were to bend the irons a tad stronger loft (i.e. bend hosel backwards), that I introduce some offset that previously wasn't there?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yes indeed, as you bend loft you to affect the offset and change it from how it was on the head before bending. And as you have seen, bending the loft lower will INCREASE the offset while bending the loft higher will DECREASE the offset.

Also, bending loft with the bar higher up on the hosel results in the offset change looking more pronounced to the eyes. This is because a high bend on the hosel creates more of a curve at the base of the hosel below the bottom of the bending bar's clamp.

So all bending of irons should be done with the bar placed as low on the hosel as the head design and hosel length will allow.

TOM
TWW
Site Admin

Return to Workbench Skills and Techniques